Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I <3 the Holidays!

I feel EXTREMELY spoiled this year....after receiving massive amounts of presents from my parents (and more to come after we have moved), hubby and I agreed that the Wii would be our only gift to each other.
Mostly for financial reasons (moving fun/expenses start TOMORROW), but also for the simple fact that we don't need much right now. Our time together is gift enough. =)

WELL...hubby can't exactly stick to agreements. On Christmas Eve, I put together our stockings. In my mind it didn't count as "gifts" because the stocking is supposed to be jammed full of goodies! After convincing him to open his (and mine!) stocking after our yummy Christmas Eve dinner, he pulls a GIANT box out of another box in the closet (sneaky little shit) AND a smaller package that he called "my stocking stuffer". The stockings that I put together consisted of magazines, flashlights, camera accessories, an alarm clock for him, cute underwear for me, candy, and other little things. He LOVED it! My stocking stuffer for him was a pedometer! I've been dying to buy one, but couldn't ever justify spending the money. The only time I ever mentioned it to him was a few months ago when we were shopping at REI...what a memory he has! haha I can't wait to try it out.
After that we cracked open a couple cold beers and settled in for a night of movies.
I have been struggling with being away from my family for this long, especially around the holidays, so there were some tears and many many phone calls...the sweetest being a conversation with my youngest brother who tried to make me feel better but only succeeded to make me cry more by telling me how sad he was that we weren't together on Christmas. A midnight call home (they were all up still playing Catchphrase - it was 1am their time) tucked me in for the night after hubby had been asleep for almost an hour.

Hardly slept in at ALL Christmas morning...I can't help but be eternally 5 years old. We didn't open gifts right away. Instead we made a yummy breakfast of cinnamon rolls, sausage, and coffee. I immediately wanted to open the big gift that hubby had hidden from me...it was a CROCK POT!!!!!!!! WAHOO!!!! I pretty much immediately shoved meat and veggies in it....delicious. My mom and dad definitely spoiled us...a couple new sets of bed sheets (including FLEECE ones...wtf it's like sleeping in a cotton ball AMAZING), several sets of etched wine glasses, ornaments, warm socks for both of us, coffees, slippers, etc...we felt very very spoiled and when I informed my mother of this, and how much we loved everything, she told us she wanted to spoil us because she couldn't be with us. GAH I melted into tears. My family is awesome. My best gift this Christmas is still the picture of our proposal spot. I cannot wait to hang it up in our NEW apartment!
The rest of our Christmas consisted of not leaving the apartment at ALL and playing the Wii until after midnight. We briefly thought about leaving the apartment to see some friends, but couldn't come up with a decent enough reason why it seemed like a good idea...we were having too much fun.

Now the holidays are over, my tree is down and packed, and we are getting ready to move out of our first home together into a new (and MUCH MUCH bigger) home...it's all very bittersweet. Hubby thinks I'm nuts for even thinking about missing this apartment, but I will....only because it was ours together and there are a lot of memories attached to it. I will be sad leaving. I might even cry. haha

More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment