Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fireproof

Pet peeve of the day...

Couples who claim to be living in marital/cohabital bliss, no arguments, no stresses, no problems...it's a lie. You CAN BE madly in love and completely compatible and still hit bumps. It's fine, it's normal, it's healthy. Don't piss in the air and say it's raining.

Having said that, I FULLY recommend ALL couples watch the movie Fireproof. It was recommended to me by a coworker as a way to strengthen my relationship with my husband and help us see a side of marriage that maybe we hadn't taken the time to think about before. This coworker hit the nail on the head. The religious aspect of the movie was slightly hard for hubby and I to swallow, as we both have consciously stepped away from our faiths and chosen to explore a life led by good morals and consciously good decisions rather than a set of religious "rules". Aside from that, it really encompassed the difficulties that marriages can face even after many years together. When the husband and wife were explaining their reasons why the marriage was failing, we heard ourselves talking. Obviously in a much lighter way, but it forced us to face the realization that even little things can become much much bigger if not seen, and openly worked on, immediately. My husband actually looked at me and said "I never want to sound like that with you" and I agreed wholeheartedly. Great movie, go rent it. Better yet, buy it. I am.

Our entire night together last night was fantastic. Veterans Day has never meant anything more to me than a day off work (shameful huh). Well, I am now a proud military wife to a veteran of our current war. I was sad to learn that even in a military state, my employers did not recognize this holiday as a day worthy of letting us stay home. I would have loved to have been able to spend the day with my husband, who IS a veteran. Frustrating. However, we made the best of it by making a DELICIOUS dinner together (pesto chicken and homemade mashed potatoes...and a cold Guinness of course) and watching Fireproof. I am very very proud to have married into a military family (my father in law retired from the Air Force after 20 years of active service) and to the most gorgeous Airman I know. =)

Also, the pesto chicken was so freakin delicious that I have to share the recipe.

1/3 c mozzarella cheese
1/4 c pesto
1/4 c Grey Poupon mustard
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

-mix 1/3 c mozzarella cheese, pesto, and mustard
-spread over chicken; add the rest of the mozzarella on top
-cook 20-25 min at 350 degrees
(we covered the pan in foil to make it extra moist)

Eat it. Love it. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment